Specimen is collected by the referring clinician. Discussion with a pathologist from St Vincents Cytology is highly recommended. Telephone 9288 4114
Special collection filter and container are required for this specimen. Alfred Cytology does not stock these filters.
Filters are available directly from St Vincents Cytology Service. Telephone 9288 4114. Please order in advance of procedure.
Note: Rapid and thorough fixation is CRUCIAL
General Instructions for Filter Use:
- Remove the filter attached to the plastic cylinder from the sterile packet.
- Snap off the three tiny legs of plastic from the plastic cylinder.
- Holding the plastic cylinder, press the filter firmly on the eye for several seconds until the filter becomes transparent.
- Place the cylinder with the filter attached immediately in a 50ml specimen collection pot containing 95% alcohol, hold the filter under the alcohol for a few seconds.
- All relevant clinical information should be written on the complete and signed request form.