FORMALIN - FIRST AID MEASURES
EMERGENCY CONTACT NUMBERS:
INTERNAL EMERGENCY DIAL 88
ALFRED EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT DIAL 63405
SWALLOWED - If poisoning occurs, transport to Emergency without delay.
- If swallowed do NOT induce vomiting.
- If vomiting occurs, lean patient forward or place on left side (head-down position, if possible) to maintain open airway and prevent aspiration.
- Immediately give a glass of water.
EYES - If formalin comes in contact with the eyes:
- Immediately hold eyelids apart and flush the eye continuously with running water.
- Ensure complete irrigation of the eye by keeping eyelids apart and away from eye and moving the eyelids by occasionally lifting the upper and lower lids.
- Continue flushing for at least 15 minutes.
- Transport to Emergency without delay.
Note: Removal of contact lenses after an eye injury should only be undertaken by skilled personnel.
SKIN - If skin or hair contact occurs:
- Immediately flush with water, use a safety shower if available for a large volume incident.
- Quickly remove any contaminated clothing, including footwear.
- Wash skin and hair with running water for 5 minutes.
- Attend Emergency if dermal irritation is apparent.
INHALED - If fumes are inhaled:
- Remove from the contaminated area.
- If breathing becomes difficult transport to Emergency without delay.