Bronchial Brushing for Cytology - Collection Instructions
|Alternative Names:||Cytology Specimen Collection - Bronchial Brushings|
|Specimen Types:||Bronchial Washings|
|Collection & Request Instructions:||Deliver to laboratory within 60 minutes|
- Identify the target lesion and obtain a brushing sample of the lesion according to standard bronchoscopy protocol.
- Fill a sterile container with 10-20 ml of sterile saline.
- Withdraw the brush and agitate vigorously in the sterile saline.
- Using aseptic technique, perform multiple brushings of the lesion.
- Detach the brush tip after the final sample is taken and place it in the same specimen container containing the brush washout.
- Label the bronchial brushing container with the sample site and in accordance with APS requirements.
- Accompanying bronchial washing and/or BAL samples should be submitted with the brush sample and a completed Pathology request form to Anatomical Pathology ASAP.
|Transport Instructions between Sites and/or Laboratories:||Send to lab immediately|
Due to rapid deterioration of cells please deliver the specimen(s) to the Anatomical Pathology laboratory WITHIN ONE HOUR OF COLLECTION