A procedure kit can be obtained from Cytology (call extn 63088) which contains; Frosted end slides, Cytology Fixative (95% ethyl alcohol) in plastic vial, slide carrier/mailer, specimen bag and pencil
Label 2 glass slides on the frosted end with patient name, UR and date of birth. Please ensure slides are labeled in Pencil as ink will be dissolved by the alcoholic fixative
Ensure the discharge is smeared onto the labeled side of the slides
If no secretion appears at the nipple with gentle compression, do not manipulate further
If only a small amount of discharge is present prepare a single air dried smear
1. Gently express a small drop of the discharge material allowing a “pea sized” drop of fluid to collect upon the nipple tip.
2. Smear the discharge onto the central portion of the first glass slide.
3. Place the second slide on top of the first one and gently separate to produce an even spread of the material across both slides. Care should be exercised not to press too hard in order to prevent crushing of the cells. The material should occupy the central portion of the slide.
4. After the two slides are separated, immediately place the second slide into a container of Cytology fixative (95% ethyl alcohol). Time is of the essence. The smearing of the material across the slide and the dropping of the slide into the liquid fixative, or spray fixing the slide, should be accomplished in one motion.
5. Allow the first slide to air dry and place into the slide carrier/mailer
6. Pack the slide mailer, fixative vial, pencil and a pathology request form back into the kit and return to Cytology.